1300 748 137
Air Purifiers for Pets
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Air Purifier for you and your Pet
For pet owners, creating a comfortable and healthy living environment for both themselves and their furry companions is essential. Given that pets and their owners often spend the majority of their time indoors, it's crucial to guarantee that the air they breathe is clean and free from allergens, odors, and other pollutants. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of air purifiers for pets and their owners, exploring the benefits, advantages, and top-rated devices that cater specifically to the needs of households with pets, ensuring a healthier and more enjoyable living space for all.
Why Are Air Purifiers for Pets Necessary?
Indoor pets, like dogs and cats, can bring a lot of joy into our lives, but they also bring allergens, pet hair, and odors into our homes. Pet dander, which consists of tiny, lightweight particles of skin, can easily become airborne and cause allergy symptoms for both pets and their owners. In addition to pet dander and hair, odors can also contribute to poor indoor air quality.
By investing in an air purifier for you and your pet, you can significantly improve the air quality in your home and create a healthier environment for your furry friends.
The Benefits of Air Purifiers for Pets
Reduced Allergens and Improved Respiratory Health
One of the primary benefits of air purifiers for pets is their ability to capture and remove pet dander and hair as well as other airborne allergens from the air. This results in a significant reduction in allergy symptoms for both pets and their owners. Breathing cleaner air can also help to improve overall respiratory health and reduce the risk of developing chronic respiratory conditions.
Elimination of Pet Odors
Pet owners know all too well that, despite our best efforts, pets can leave lingering odors in our homes. Air purifiers for pets are specifically designed to tackle these stubborn smells, with activated carbon filters that effectively neutralize and eliminate pet odors.
A Cleaner Home
With an air purifier working tirelessly to remove pet hair, dander, and other pollutants from the air, you'll likely notice a decrease in the amount of dust and debris settling on surfaces in your home. This can lead to reduced cleaning time and a fresher, more inviting living space.
Choosing the Best Air Purifiers for Pets: Key Features to Look For
When searching for the best air purifiers for pets, it's essential to consider the following features:
- Pre Filter: These washable filters are the first layer of filtration and trap larger hair and dander from the air inside your home
- HEPA Filters: These high-efficiency filters can capture particles as small as 0.3 microns, including finer pet dander, pollen, and mold spores and more. An air purifier with a HEPA filter is a must-have for pet owners
- Activated Carbon Filters: These filters excel at adsorbing and neutralizing odors, making them ideal for tackling pet-related smells
- Size and Coverage: Ensure that the air purifier you choose is capable of handling the square footage of the room in which it will be placed
- Filter Replacement and Maintenance: Look for a device with a straightforward filter replacement process and a reasonable maintenance schedule.
Best Air Purifiers for Pets 2023: Top Picks for a Healthier Home
To help you find the best air purifiers for pets, we've compiled a list of Australia's most recommended models that are known for their performance, durability, and ease of use. These air purifiers have received high praise from both customers and experts alike, making them excellent choices for pet owners seeking cleaner, fresher air.
1. Winix Zero+ Pro 5 Stage - The only model in Australia with a dedicated pet filter for the most thorough pet hair and dander removal. It features a 5 layer filtration system, 3 in-built automatic air quality sensors, auto mode for set and forget operation and a dedicated sleep mode for whisper quiet night time use. Another advanced feature is it's PlasmaWave technology. This neutralises human and pet viruses, bacteria, odours and VOCs for ultimate purification. With a H13 Hospital grade HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, the National asthma council's Sensitive choice award and large coverage of up to 85m², It's not surprising that this one of the most recommended models in the country.
2. Samsung AX90 - Fitted with two 3 layer filter sets, three way air flow ventilation for faster & wider coverage, True HEPA and activated carbon filters, this is another air cleaning powerhouse. Rated for areas up to 90m², making it ideal for big rooms. Wi-Fi connectivity and remote monitoring and operation via your smart phone allows you to view and operate it from anywhere that you have phone reception. As any good air purifier should have, auto and sleep modes are standard and it's 2 in-built air quality sensors ensure that it is always monitoring how clean your air is.
3. Ionmax ION430 - Equipped with a 5 layer filtration system including UVC Light technology that inactivates viruses and bacteria trapped inside the air purifier. Perfect for bedrooms, office rooms, loungerooms and apartments, this compact unit is very effective at removing pet hair and dander and unwanted pet smells. As well as the UVC light, it also comes with a H13 HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, cleanable pre filter and ioniser for thorough purification and filtering. With an in-built PM2.5 air quality sensor and auto mode, you can set and forget and let it take care of cleaning the air inside your home.
Tips for Maximizing the Performance of Your Air Purifier for Pets
To get the most out of your air purifier, follow these expert tips:
- Placement: Position the air purifier in the room where your pets spend the most time or where you notice the most allergens and odors. This will help to ensure that the device is effectively targeting the primary sources of pet-related air pollution.
- Regular Maintenance: Replace filters according to the manufacturer's recommendations and clean the device as needed to maintain optimal performance.
- Run It Continuously: Keep your air purifier running 24/7 for the best air cleaning results. Most air purifiers are designed for continuous operation and have energy-efficient features to minimize power consumption.
Additional Considerations for Pet Owners
In addition to selecting the right air purifier, pet owners should also take the following steps to maintain a healthy indoor environment:
- Regularly grooming your pets can help to reduce the amount of pet hair and dander in your home. Brushing your pets outdoors can further minimize the spread of allergens inside the house.
- Using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter can help to remove pet hair and dander from carpets, upholstery, and other surfaces. Vacuum at least twice a week to keep allergens at bay.
Wash Pet Bedding and Toys
- Washing your pet's bedding, toys, and other accessories can help to eliminate allergens and odors. Be sure to use pet-safe laundry detergents and follow the manufacturer's care instructions.
Keep Your Home Well-Ventilated
- Allowing fresh air to circulate in your home can help to dilute indoor pollutants and improve air quality. Open windows and doors whenever possible and consider using exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
The Impact of Air Purifiers for Pets on Your Well-being
By investing in an air purifier designed for pets and following the additional tips above, pet owners can experience a variety of positive effects on their overall well-being. These may include:
- Reduced allergy symptoms: With fewer pet allergens in the air, allergy sufferers may experience relief from symptoms such as sneezing, itchy eyes, and congestion.
- Improved sleep quality: Cleaner air can lead to better sleep, as allergens and irritants are less likely to cause disruptions during the night.
- Enhanced mood and mental health: A cleaner, fresher living environment can contribute to an improved sense of well-being and reduced stress levels.
Final Thoughts on Air Purifiers for Pets
Investing in an air purifier specifically designed for pets can greatly improve the air quality in your home and create a healthier environment for both you and your furry companions. By considering expert opinions, essential features, and top-rated options, you'll be well-equipped to make an informed decision and find the perfect air purifier for your needs. With the right air purifier, you and your pets can breathe easier and enjoy a cleaner, fresher living space.
Below are some scientific references that support the advantages of using an air purifier for pets for both the pet and pet owner:
Reduced allergy symptoms: Wood, R. A., & Kennedy, K. (2003). Indoor allergen exposure: its role in the development of sensitization and allergic respiratory disease. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports, 3(4), 324-331.
Summary: This study highlights the role of indoor allergens, including pet dander, in the development of allergic respiratory diseases. Air purifiers can help reduce allergen exposure and decrease allergy symptoms in both pets and their owners.
Pet benefit: Pets may also suffer from allergies, so reducing allergen exposure can lead to improved health and reduced allergy symptoms in pets as well.
Improved respiratory health: Sublett, J. L. (2011). Effectiveness of air filters and air cleaners in allergic respiratory diseases: a review of the recent literature. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports, 11(5), 395-402.
Summary: This review examines the effectiveness of air filters and air cleaners in improving respiratory health. By removing airborne allergens and pollutants, air purifiers can contribute to better respiratory health for pet owners and their pets.
Pet benefit: Pets with pre-existing respiratory conditions or sensitive airways can experience improved respiratory health by breathing cleaner air.
Elimination of pet odors: Hossain, A., & Loughlin, D. H. (2017). Performance evaluation of commercially available activated carbon filters for indoor air VOC removal. Building and Environment, 125, 154-162.
Summary: Activated carbon filters in air purifiers can effectively remove volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which contribute to pet odors. This leads to a fresher and more pleasant-smelling home environment.
Pet benefit: Reduced odors can contribute to a more comfortable and stress-free environment for pets.
Cleaner home environment: Batterman, S., Su, F. C., Wald, A., Watkins, F., Godwin, C., & Thun, G. (2015). Ventilation rates in recently constructed U.S. school classrooms. Indoor Air, 25(6), 689-699.
Summary: Proper ventilation and air purification can help maintain a cleaner home environment by removing airborne particles like pet dander and hair.
Pet benefit: A cleaner home environment can lead to reduced allergen exposure for pets and fewer respiratory irritants, contributing to better overall health.
Reduced risk of developing respiratory conditions: Fisk, W. J., Lei-Gomez, Q., & Mendell, M. J. (2007). Meta-analyses of the associations of respiratory health effects with dampness and mold in homes. Indoor Air, 17(4), 284-296.
Summary: This meta-analysis demonstrates that poor indoor air quality, including dampness and mold, can contribute to the development of respiratory conditions. Air purifiers can help maintain healthier indoor air and reduce this risk.
Pet benefit: By improving air quality, air purifiers can also reduce the risk of pets developing respiratory conditions or aggravating existing ones.
Improved sleep: Sundell, J., Levin, H., Nazaroff, W. W., Cain, W. S., Fisk, W. J., Grimsrud, D. T., ... & Weschler, C. J. (2011). Ventilation rates and health: multidisciplinary review of the scientific literature. *Indoor.
Summary: Improved indoor air quality has been associated with better sleep quality. Air purifiers can remove allergens and pollutants that may cause discomfort or breathing difficulties during sleep.
Pet benefit: Pets can also experience better sleep quality in a cleaner environment, leading to improved overall health and well-being.
Enhanced mood and mental health: Annesi-Maesano, I., Baiz, N., Banerjee, S., Rudnai, P., Rive, S., & Group, S. C. (2013). Indoor air quality and sources in schools and related health effects. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B, 16(8), 491-550.
Summary: Poor indoor air quality has been linked to negative impacts on mood and mental health. Air purifiers can help create a cleaner and more pleasant living environment, potentially leading to improved mental well-being.
Pet benefit: A comfortable and stress-free environment can also contribute to better mental health for pets, promoting a more relaxed and content state of mind.
Reduced transmission of viruses: Tiwari, A., Patnayak, D. P., Chander, Y., Parsad, M., & Goyal, S. M. (2006). Survival of two avian respiratory viruses on porous and nonporous surfaces. Avian Diseases, 50(2), 284-287.
Summary: This study examines the survival of two avian respiratory viruses on various surfaces. Air purifiers equipped with HEPA filters and UV or photocatalytic oxidation technologies can help remove or inactivate airborne viruses, potentially reducing the risk of transmission between pets and humans in the household.
Pet benefit: By reducing the transmission of viruses, air purifiers can contribute to improved overall health for pets, minimizing the risk of illness and promoting a healthier living environment for both pets and their owners.
Our team are always on hand, 7 days a week. So if you would like some help in finding the best air purifier for you and your pet then get in touch with us today.